Recently I was interviewed by Peggy McKee, career coach and the CEO of Career Confidential, regarding the challenges of interviewing for an IT-related job. A great deal of what we discussed applies to all interviews, but IT interviews have the opportunity to dive deep into tool knowledge and project experience. In this audio file, you’ll hear our thoughts on technical interviews, specifically:
- Preparing for the interview
- Typical questions to expect
- How to approach the interview and present the right information
Link to audio: What You Need to Know to Get an Information Technology Job
A while back, Peggy and I generated a video discussing proper format for resumes, too.
Link to video: Formatting Your Resume to Be Read!
Peggy’s Web site dedicated to helping job seekers find and get the jobs they want. Career Confidential coaches job seekers through every stage in the job search and interview process, from resumes to interviews to follow up. It specializes in providing job seekers with powerful and customizable tools and techniques through blog articles, training videos, templates, and Webinars.
Betsy Goldberg of Money magazine wrote an informative article in the March 2010 edition for job seekers who wish to work with recruiters (Titled: Get a Leg Up on Your Job Search). She interviewed me as part of her research. You’ll find a lot of advice in the article I agree with (including my quote below).
- Finding the Right Recruiters
- How to Make Initial Contact
- Maintaining the Relationship
My quote on making contact:
I was recently interviewed by Kristi Daeda on the topic of marketing yourself in the job search.
Here’s the link to the short article:
Topics covered include:
- Current job opening trends and types of roles
- Common traits of successful candidates
- Certification and training
Recently, a career coach in Barcelona spoke with me about interviewing and the addressing the question, “Why Should We Hire You?” Speaking with him reminded me how the process is very similar around the world and we all face similar challenges. You can learn more about Sergi Mora by clicking this link. You can also read his blog.
To listen to our discussion on topics covered below, click on this link.
Discussion topics during job interview
- Types of qualifications to be ready to discuss in the interview
- Unwritten qualifications
- “Fit” with hiring company
- Functional Requirements versus Soft Skill Requirements
Expectations of the interviewee in the interview process
- Preparation and taking ownership of the interview
- Creating the checklist of key items to discuss
- How to leverage the checklist during the interview
- Conveying your strong interest in the job
- Direct answer to the question, “Why should we hire you?”